Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Relationships

A few weeks ago, I was held captive by mediocre Saturday afternoon movies. While a great way to procrastinate, I never knew one quote from the movie "World's Greatest Dad" would stick with me like it has:

I used to think the worst thing in life was ending up alone. I was wrong. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone. -Robin Williams

What a great observation. I think that people get too caught up in the quantity of relationships they have in lieu of focusing on their depth. How many Facebook friends do you have? How many Christmas cards do you send out? Since when did quantity count more than quality?

Six years ago, I had an unfortunate incident with a small group of friends that turned into possibly one of the greatest learning experiences in my young life. I had spent several years cultivating a friendship with this particular group because I thought it was important to have a certain quantity of friends. What I learned in the process was invaluable. I was always someone they could lean on in tough times, but when I needed them most, they weren't there. Sure, there were hard feelings at first. But now I understand the value of a good friendship, and I wouldn't take back that experience for anything.

This year has been tough on myself and my husband for a variety of reasons. I think both of us will look forward to ringing in 2012 (and saying goodbye forever to 2011). While we've always been best friends, I am constantly amazed how, in the face of adversity, we both recognized that no matter where we ended up, we would rather be with each other. Each new day in our relationship surprises me. Each day brings new proof of the reasons we were meant to be, the reasons why God guided the courses of our lives in such a manner so that we would meet and fall in love nine years ago.

How do the relationships in your life make you feel? I know that question seems rather one-sided, but it gets at the root of living a healthy, full life. If you constantly find yourself surrounded by a large circle of friends, yet you still feel alone, how does that enrich your life? Furthermore, if you feel that way with your friends, odds are, they feel that way with you. Take a moment to examine your life. Isolate those relationships in which there is a mutual respect and understanding, and choose to nurture those. I did that six years ago, and have never felt more loved, and been able to give more love and support, than I ever dreamed possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment