Thursday, April 4, 2013

Conversations Between Exhausted Parents

The other night, Nora was pretty fussy.  Between having a growth spurt and a touch of diaper rash, our normally sleepy baby would not sleep on her own.  I had resorted to feeding her around the clock and holding her in bed with me as the only way to soothe her.  Some time around three a.m., JD struck up a funny conversation in his sleep (eyes closed):

JD: Honey, you've been holding the baby all night.  Can I get you anything?  A hot dog?
Me: A hot dog?  Seriously?
JD: Not a hot dog.  You know what I mean.  One of those things.
Me: I have no idea what you're talking about.
JD: You know - a peanut butter and salsa thing.
Me: What? A peanut butter and salsa sandwich?
JD: Yeah, you want one of those?
Me: Are you high?
JD: Huh? Do you want one?
Me: (knowing we have no hot dogs in the house, but wanting to mess with him) No, I think a hot dog sounds good.
JD: You want salsa on it?
Me: Sure.

And then he falls fast asleep...never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment