Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Living the Pioneer Life

Day 3 of no Internet or cable at the house. Our landscape guy cut the cable when tilling up the yard. At first I thought, hey this is no big deal. I need to finish up my paper for the semester anyway. This will cut out all the distractions.

Wrong. Have you ever tried to write a research paper without an Internet connection? It's impossible. So I started thinking about the pre-Internet days of paper-writing. I guess we would reference encyclopedias. I'd be hard pressed to name a friend who owns an encyclopedia, not even counting the irony that the paper is discussing recent real estate trends in the Memphis market.

I feel like a pioneer.

Giving up on the paper momentarily, I decide to watch a movie. Except Netflix streams over the Internet. That won't work. So I spend a few hours pulling weeds in the yard praying that the Comcast van starts driving down my cove. No luck.

I spend the rest of the day trying to accomplish what I can using my iPhone with mixed results. Why aren't all web pages mobile friendly?

Then my phone dies. Thus, I lose my connection to the outside world. Staring at a sleeping baby only provides so much entertainment and reading about crafty center pieces in Better Homes and Gardens seems overly-domestic, even for me. Can't a girl get a break around here?!

Back to praying for the Comcast van...

No comments:

Post a Comment